The Letter Factory – By Leap Frog
So, this is probably a little controversial, since I know a ton of people who do not let their kids watch TV, and are homeschooling their kids.
First off, I thought I would home school my kids in the beginning. That is, until I had kids and I found out #1 I have very little patience, #2 I am not a teacher. So, I have no problem with home schooling.
So, as far as teaching my kids their letters and Alphabet, I have done my part. We have books, and puzzles, and games, and toys that show the kids their letters, what sounds they make, what words start with what letter etc…. But to be honest it did not seem like my kids were getting it – again back to the “I am not a very good teacher.”
Well, I do let my kids watch TV. I try to keep it educational and interactive as much as possible.
This post is for those parents that think TV is horrible for their kids to watch.
We recently got a Leap Frog video from Netflix called the Letter Factory. My kids watched it maybe 4 times. Yesterday we were out on the swing and somehow the sound of a letter came up, so I went through the whole alphabet with them and they know almost all the letters sounds. Thanks to that video. It has very good descriptions visually and audibly what each letter sounds like.
My kids remembered the analogies, and because of that they know the sounds of their letters. Ezra (3 1/2) knew almost every single letter, and Araya (2 1/2) knew probably 2/3rds of the sounds.
(That’s what I call a success!)
All this to say…don’t always think of the TV as evil…sometimes it can be helpful even with educational purposes!
0 comments:
Post a Comment