Thursday, February 18, 2010

Photographing your Own Children… and not GOING INSANE WHILE DOING IT!

So, back in January, a week or so after Ezra’s Birthday, I knew it was time.
It was time to take Ezra’s Portrait.
Now, I photograph my children ALL the time! I actually shoot most of the stuff I post here and document their every day lives with my point and shoot.
We have two…and old Fugi that takes great photos and our new Lumix that does not take great photos, but takes HD video (a requirement for David) and takes Underwater photos and videos (a requirement of mine for our Jamaican Destination wedding last summer). Besides being water-proof (which is always a good idea around me – I am apt to spill any number of liquids on any available unsuspecting electronics near by), it is also Shock-proof – which was also one of my requirements. Our kids take their own pictures with our Point-and-Shoots, and I wanted to encourage this without being paranoid if they drop it, etc.

Our Fugi is actually easier for them to hold and take pictures than the Lumix – so so much for all the protective abilities they have.

 


However, when I do “portraits” of my kids, I am intentional (plan the time of the day, what they are wearing, plan ambient or artificial light, decide on place or backgrounds) and I pull out my DLSR! =o)

 



So, we decided – since it was January and Freezing outside, we’d put the background up and do an inside shoot. I had high hopes because it was something new and exciting for them, just not another time with them in front of the camera.

They WERE excited and this opened the opportunity for non-compliance and disobedience. I used ALL the tricks in the book! (I used to work at Olan Mills, so I have actual professional training and experience getting kids to look AND smile)



I. WAS. SWEATING! We had to open the windows and let the 32 degree weather in to cool me down! =o)

 

 

 



One difference when we shoot other kids, is that David or I shoot, and the other of us help get the kids to look, smile, etc….
David was shooting too, so it was EXTRA work. We shot for about an hour, and even though it was stressful, I was sweating and jumping through hoops, I was able to get a LOT of really great shots.

 



A couple tips to pass on:
1 – Shoot in a familiar place….when you take them somewhere new – it’s another wall to take down before shooting.


2 – Play peek-a-boo with them behind your camera. (or get another person to hide behind you and peek-a-boo with them)
3 – Put a stuffed animal on your head and pretend to sneeze it off.


4 – With older kids who know humor – say funny things…not too funny or you’ll loose them. (Daddy has Smelly feet, Pickle face, make animal sounds, etc…)
5 – If you’re really desperate (like I was) you can put an actual sticker on your forehead….tell them to look at it, ask questions about it….what color is it, how many eyes does it have…etc…. This was a new thought for me, so new for my kids and it TOTALLY worked to get them to LOOK in my direction)
6 – If they don’t know what to do with their hands, or they aren’t sitting still tell them to fold their hands …show them how…works like a charm! 
7 – To get faces and heads closer for better photos, tell them to put their arms around each other, hug, or kiss….gets them in close to each other! 

Here’s some of the shots I got. (We did shots of them both, because I mean really!? all the stuff is out and when are we going to do it again?!) =o)
700_5424
I’ve been wanting to do bare-bellies and jeans for awhile – before Araya gets too old! (hopefully I can do it one more time outside this
Spring or Summer – super cutie!
700_5429 700_5432
Mama trying to be funny – over board…..
700_5434 D30_8339
The truth does come out!!!
D30_8340
Precious Kisses!
700_5439 700_5447
   I was trying to get a shot of both their feet and was unsuccessful, but this is cute –them looking at their feet while I am trying to
   get the shot.
700_5450 700_5454
Big Hugs!
700_5455 700_5459
D30_8342
D30_8343 
  LOVE THESE!
700_5465 700_5468
D30_8344
One of my most Favorites!
700_5470
700_5472
This did not work in our little living room…will be better outside in a field or down a path…
700_5475 700_5482 700_5485
Ezra’s hair----he NEVER lets me do this…he has a total nerdy comb-over that he insists on always having.
I was grateful he let me do something fun with it…it didn’t even last through the whole shoot as you’ll see.
700_5488 700_5491
These chair photos were not working ….obviously!!!! LOL!
700_5496 700_5511
D30_8350 D30_8358 D30_8363
Starting last year, we started getting these giant number balloons for the kids birthdays – so great to see them change next to the numbers!

700_5512 700_5517 D30_8366
D30_8368 D30_8372
700_5519 I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! Doesn’t he look like a little Gap Baby Jean model? Watch out Courtney! Ezra’s giving Evan a run for his money!
 D30_8375700_5522   D30_8377700_5520 D30_8378 D30_8381
Yep! He’s 4! (In case you were wondering!)
D30_8382 
700_5533 D30_8387
D30_8388D30_8389

 

 

D30_8390SILLY!!!
700_5538 Is he posing?!

 


I’m losing him!700_5541D30_8391
D30_8395
Yep – Cross-eyed!
D30_8397
And we’re back!!!
 700_5545 700_5547  
D30_8399
700_5558   D30_8400 D30_8403 D30_8406 D30_8410 D30_8418 D30_8420 D30_8421
700_5569 700_5571 
  Say “don’t you smile! Don’t do it! I don’t want a smile!” First you’ll get this…which IS cute… then you’ll get this!

700_5575 

 

700_5576

700_5589

700_5595 700_5574   
 

  




















 


 
 


The basket is significant because when Ezra was a

TINY baby I put him IN the basket for photos, and have several times

since…
it’s been great to see him grow in relation to it. When he was a baby I had  to put towels in the basket to prop him up he was so tiny …. crazy!

700_5618 700_5619 700_5622
D30_8424
See?! One is smiling and one is NOT – there are MANY MANY more like this…drives me crazy!
D30_8425 D30_8431
Again…he looks great---what is she doing?

  
D30_8434 D30_8441 D30_8443 
  Great portraits!
D30_8445 D30_8455
D30_8457 D30_8458 D30_8459 
                                                                                                                                                                                            Again…don’t be TOO silly!
D30_8463 Another great Portrait!
Here’s my last attempt and pose to get them both together looking at me and smiling….
700_5633
D30_8469
700_5643 700_5646
This cracks me up! I can’t catch them both looking at the same time AND smiling, but I can catch them both with their eyes closed?!? 
700_5652
Tickles! And we’re done! (and I’m exhausted!)
700_5657 
So, all in all, we took 380 photos, of which 171 were worth editing, and I only posted 90ish…
You don’t have to shoot as many as I did, and you should get some keepers. What do you think? Do able?

2 comments:

Jennifer 2/18/2010 8:48 PM  

AWESOME!!!! I love your kids! They are so angelic and so photogenic. I can totally picture Ezra doing his fake laugh with some of those pictures. The video on FB was LOL funny!! You are so talented!

Stacie@HobbitDoor 2/19/2010 11:32 PM  

Super cute! Thanks for sharing all the work that goes into it!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP